Insiders tell E! News the true story that the 1998 demolition—and the likelihood of whether the knife now in police custody had anything to perform with the killing of Nicole Brown & Ron Goldman
Whether girlfriend remember the town hall the slow-mo Bronco chase and also the subsequent criminal psychological on TV 2 decades earlier or have actually been city hall the saga re-unfold now on American Crime Story: The world v. O.J. Simpson every week, the Brentwood estate that once belong come O.J. Simpson remains a focal suggest of fascination and also is quiet shrouded in mystery.
You are watching: 360 n. rockingham ave. in brentwood
And even though the residential property was razed in 1998, 360 N. Rockingham path is tho making news.
The notorious resolve anachronistically took center stage last week when the LAPD announced that a knife had, as much as they'd been told, been found buried on what supplied to be Simpson's property and was gift tested for traces of evidence that could possibly attach it the 1994 twin murder that Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.
PHOTOS: The civilization v. O.J. Simpson: truth vs. Fiction
Whether or not any trace the anything mr up, Simpson has been found not guilty of murder and, early out to double jeopardy, it's difficult to shot him for the exact same crime again. (The onetime football an excellent is currently serving a nine-to-33-year jail sentence in Nevada for equipped robbery and other offenses for his involvement in a heist to retrieve memorabilia he claimed belonged come him. He's up because that parole in 2017.)
But 22 years ago, he to be living in his mansion on Rockingham as soon as his ex-wife and her friend were murdered 2 miles away, top top Bundy Drive.
E! Illustration by Lindsay Scheinberg. Map no to scale.
Simpson to buy the residence in 1977 for $650,000 and also lost the estate come foreclosure twenty years later. A financial institution bought the residence at auction because that $2.6 million in July 1997, five months ~ a jury forgive the Goldman and Brown family members a $33.5 million wrongful death judgment against Simpson—the bulk of i beg your pardon they've never seen. Also most that the $2.6 million checked out pay O.J.'s lawyers, lenders and mortgage debt.
In a city that hosts together attractions together The Tragical background Tour, of course 360 N. Rockingham ended up being a tourist (and locals) magnet after the grisly murders.
But even with the situation being combed through and also analyzed and also talked about every year because that the previous 22 years, over there still remained stones previously left unturned.
Here room the five things you didn't know:
Gabrielle Union on Dwyane go Fathering a kid With another Woman
Kim Kardashian's assembly Artist reacts to her Met Gala Glam
Ireland Baldwin Defends Hailey Bieber indigenous Selena Gomez Chants in ~ Met
PHOTOS: The people v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story's Craziest Quotes
MIKE NELSON/AFP/Getty Images
1. O.J. Simpson's final Goodbye: Simpson called reporters in 1998, approximately the time his previous home was booked to be razed, "It's no my house, and I could care less. Ns walked out of that door, and I've never ever been back...Rockingham is history."
But the onetime USC hero and also Buffalo receipt star actually made sure to have actually one critical look at Rockingham the day before the house was demolished, by then among a throng of world trying to obtain a last glimpse that the well known address.
O.J. Was spotted act a "drive-by" the day prior to the demolition, a source tells E! News. "I witnessed him come by. I believed it to be odd. The looked sad, like he was bummed," the insider said.
2. The an enig Knife: Last main the news that a possible twist involved light. A knife to be supposedly found hidden on the Rockingham residential property by a construction worker in 2002, after ~ the estate had actually been razed in ~ the behest that its brand-new owner.
Police to be told that the worker offered it come an off-duty traffic cop, who then took it residence with him. Only recently did he provide it come authorities, and only after he tried to attain the case number so he can properly preserve the knife in an engraved frame. (The now-retired cop in inquiry told TMZ he informed the LAPD that the knife's existence when he very first got it and also they called him the situation was closed.)
A source who has actually seen the knife in question told E! this week the it to be "totally rusted" and looked "decades old." through police already skeptical together well, the insider extremely doubts the the the knife has actually anything to execute with the murders. "It looked much more like a toy knife or a young Scout knife—like other a boy would bury."
Still, the source added, no stone was left unturned on the property. Prior to the demolition, in the back of the main residence there to be traces close to the guest quarters—where Kato Kaelin as soon as lived—where you might see that "police had actually dug increase the ground" searching for the killing weapon and also other evidence, the source said.
3. Demolition Man: Billionaire investor Ron Burkle—whose celeb pals past and also present have included Bill Clinton, Leonardo DiCaprio, Bono and also Sean "Diddy" Combs—hopped plank a bulldozer and also was among the first to take a swipe at the previous Simpson residence in 1998.
The supermarket magnate to be the nearby friend and also business companion of financier Kenneth Abdalla, that bought the Brentwood building for close to $4 million in 1997 and also had the 6,000-square-foot residence razed the complying with year in bespeak to construct a brand-new house on the spot.
4. Nothing Sacred: Pretty much nothing remains of the initial structure, Abdalla wanting whatever destroyed.
See more: Cubic Feet Cubed To Cm Cubed, What Is Foot Cubed (Cubic Foot)
We're told that the brand-new owner didn't want a single part of the mansion left. With a residence as well known as Rockingham, the insider said, mementos from the initial house could have conveniently been marketed off because that a hefty price. Instead, the owner asserted it all "unusable."
"He wanted a blank slate. It was pulverized and also totally destroyed," our source said. "All that were left to be scraps and everything saw the landfill."
5. The Circus continues to be in Town: Just as it remained in the wake of the killing in 1994, 360 N. Rockingham to be a circus during demolition in 1998 and private security was rental to save out "all that the lookers trying come jump end the fence" to obtain a peep, the source said. Police blocked off the whole area. Even though the owner built a new house, morbid curiosity still had people flocking come the site. Extra defense was at some point a requirement for year after the demolition.